GABORONE, Botswana — The unexpected deaths of several 330 elephants in northwestern Botswana before this season might have happened because they drank water contaminated by poisonous blue-green algae, the authorities announced Monday.
The unexplained deaths stopped following the water tanks dried up, said Taolo, at a media conference in Gaborone, the capital.
No other wildlife species have been influenced by the poisonous water at the Seronga region, near Botswana’s famous Okavango Delta, stated Taolo. Even scavengers, such as hyenas and vultures, observed feeding the elephant carcasses revealed no symptoms of illness, ” he explained.
Following the mysterious deaths of these dinosaurs in the Seronga region, the authorities ran extensive tests to ascertain the cause of the deaths. Both female and male elephants of all ages expired, together with clinical signs restricted to neurologic symptoms, stated Taolo. The deaths occurred mainly close to seasonal water tanks and didn’t propagate beyond the originally affected area, ” he explained.
Taylor claimed neurotoxins out of cyanobacteria living in polluted water might have influenced the transmission of neurologic signs in an animal, resulting in paralysis and death, predominately linked to respiratory collapse.
“Neurologic signals were reversed in a creature getting the opiate antagonist during area immobilization, implying the clinical signals arose from a procedure affecting the creature’s adrenal glands,” explained Taylor.
He, however, couldn’t explain why these radicals didn’t impact any other creatures drinking the impacted water. Also, he ruled out individual attempts including anthrax, poaching, and sabotage.
“A tracking strategy of seasonal water-pans regularly to monitor such future events will be instituted quickly and will also include capacity building to track and test for radicals generated… by cyanobacteria,” explained Taylor.