NEW YORK — R. Kelly can stay behind bars awaiting numerous trials on child porn and other fees in three nations, an appeals court in New York said Tuesday as an attorney for the R&B singer mentioned another inmate’s assault on Kelly a month as one reason he ought to get bond.
He faces federal and state fees in Illinois, Minnesota and New York ranging from sexual assault to heading into a racketeering scheme made to provide him with women.
The Grammy Award-winning singer has denied abusing anybody.
Prosecutors have said Kelly is a threat to this community and a flight risk. The 2nd Circuit said prosecutors had demonstrated that”no condition or combination of conditions may guarantee against these dangers.” The appeals court said the lower court did not err in finding Kelly failed to establish a”compelling reason” for temporary discharge.
Mike Leonard, among Kelly’s lawyers, said the appeals judgment was”quite disappointing and somewhat unexpected” because appeals judges during oral arguments had appeared to comprehend Kelly’s incarceration was preventing him by working adequately for trial.
The attorney entered into the court for Kelly’s instance a handwritten letter in the inmate who claims that he assaulted Kelly immediately after meeting with a mental health specialist who cried for him to return to their conversation since the inmate rather refused and assaulted Kelly.
Leonard alleged that the episode proved the national prison can’t guard his client behind bars which he should be allowed bail. A bond application is pending in Chicago, although the 2nd Circuit ruling would keep him behind bars if he won bond in Illinois.
A message for comment had been abandoned with all the national Bureau of Prisons. Thomas Farinella, another attorney for Kelly, stated that for Kelly, “The so-called maxim of this presumption of innocence seems to be a misnomer.”
He added: “We’ll continue to aggressively fight for Mr. Kelly’s vindication.”