Hurricane Sally — among five tropical storms concurrently moving throughout the Atlantic Ocean — has strengthened to a Category 2 storm and is forecast to hit the Gulf Coast Tuesday.
New Orleans, Biloxi, and Mobile are contained in such warnings.
Sally is forecast to move gradually through the country’s Wednesday with heavy rain and flash flooding.
For all those evacuating, here Are a Few Tips to Bear in Mind, according to the Department of Homeland Security:
• Identify several areas you can go to, like a friend’s house or a motel. Pick areas in different directions so you have options.
• The FEMA program includes a list of available shelters.
• Unplug electronics such as TVs and tiny appliances until you depart.
• Require an emergency kit with you which includes food, water, a flashlight, a first aid kit, extra batteries, and important family records.
• when you’ve got pets, keep in mind that many public shelters permit only support animals.
• Follow recommended evacuation routes and do not take shortcuts.
• think of a household reunification program in the event you’re separated.
• Stay connected with local officials.