Nigeria protesters break curfew amid gunfire, Turmoil in Lagos

It is not clear if some protesters were killed in Tuesday night’s shooting in the Lekki toll plaza from the West African nation’s sprawling business funding. Lagos’ governor explained several were hurt but no one had been murdered, though Amnesty International and the U.N.’s high commissioner for human rights said individuals died and security forces were responsible. The army has denied that it was responsible.

Gunfire reverberated around Lagos on Wednesday, for example at the Lekki toll plaza, where youthful demonstrators were rallying despite an arrangement for everybody to stay away from the roads till further notice. In the noise of these shots, some protesters might be seen running off, even though it was not clear if the audience was fired upon.

Authorities also fired tear gas at the same stage, and smoke can be seen from many regions in the town’s center. Two private TV channels were forced off the air at least briefly because their offices were burnt.

Young individuals have taken to the roads for two or more weeks following anger within heavy-handed policing flared in reaction to a movie of a guy being beaten, seemingly by officers using the Particular Anti-Robbery Squad, called SARS.

In reaction to this #EndSARS motion, the government announced it would disband the device, in which Amnesty International states were responsible for several instances of torture and killings.

Nigerians have bombarded Twitter lately together with reports of their everyday indignities and abuse they confront, from being frequently shaken down by authorities for bribes into beatings and even killings.

However, their demands for greater governance attracted new attention both inside and outside the nation after videos have been posted on social websites where gunfire could be heard over protesters as they sang the national anthem in the Lekki toll plaza at the shadow Tuesday night. Following the shots, folks could be heard running away.

It is not clear from the movies who had been shooting, but a few are pointing the finger at Nigeria’s army.

She noticed that there were reports — not confirmed — that safety cameras were handicapped and lights turned off until the shooting started, moves which could signal that a”deplorable,” premeditated assault. She called for”a branch and root re-examination of the full security industry” to tackle yearslong complaints of violence.

Amnesty International has stated it has”plausible but troubling signs” that security forces have been to blame for its Lekki plaza shooting, although the Lagos governor has ordered an investigation into the activities of the army there.

Nobody has said the number of people was murdered, and Gov. Obajide Sanwo-Olu has denied that there were any deaths, confirming rather than 25 people were hurt. He said he traveled to mortuaries and didn’t find any bodies.

“That is the roughest night of our own lives as forces beyond our direct control have proceeded to create dark notes from our background, but we’ll confront it and come out stronger” the governor tweeted before Wednesday.

He had warned on Twitter the protests against police brutality had”degenerated into a creature that’s threatening the well-being of the society”

Nigeria’s army, nevertheless, refused responsibility for the Lekki shootings, submitting a tweet that branded several reports as fake news.

Buhari’s announcement said the dissolution of the SARS device” is the very first step in some reform policies which will produce a police system answerable to the Nigerian men and women.”

Before the shootings in Lekki, Nigeria’s police announcement cautioned that security forces could “exercise the full powers of law enforcement to avoid any additional effort on the property and lives of citizens.”

The Lekki shootings come after two disorderly weeks of societal unrest. On Tuesday, police said almost 2,000 offenders had broken from jail after audiences attacked two correctional facilities every day before.

The Inspector-General of Police said that it was deploying anti-riot authorities across Nigeria and arranged forces to reinforce security around correctional facilities.

The curfew at Lagos started Tuesday day and many companies and stores are shut throughout the town, however, the demonstrators are erecting barricades from the streets. The curfew was declared after a police station was burnt down in town and two people were shot dead by authorities.

Lagos has become the middle of their protests, together with demonstrators occasionally blocking access to the airport and barricading streets causing the country’s major ports.

“The military has to apologize, not only to the country but to the international community — that the facts are incontrovertible — you, the army, opened fire on unarmed civilians,” Soyinka wrote on Wednesday.

Soyinka said he talked with lots of the protesters in roadblocks and warned of the rising fury, urging the authorities to negotiate a settlement.

“Don’t try to order — Dialogue!” He composed.