Sudan armed group Strikes Darfur village, killing at least Seven

CAIRO — A Sudanese paramilitary team attacked civilians from the war-scarred area of South Darfur, killing at least seven people and wounding 20 more, neighborhood activists and a rebel group said Friday.

The attack in the troubled state arrived a week later government-linked armed teams stormed a protest camp in North Darfur and killed 13 people.

The most recent attack was staged Thursday by armed men who opened fire on people led for their farms at the town of Nereida, a few 107 km (66 miles) south of South Darfur’s provincial capital, said Mohamed Abdel-Rahman al-Nayer, a spokesman for a rebel group called the Sudan Liberation Movement.

Seven people were killed, said Adam Regal, a spokesman for a local company that will help conduct displacement camps in Darfur.

Late Friday, al-Nayer set the death toll in 15, stating a lot more people had succumbed to their wounds.

In April of this past year, a sweeping pro-democracy protest movement toppled longtime autocrat Omar al-Bashir, ushering in a transitional government collectively composed of military and civilian leaders.

Al-Bashir is headquartered at the capital, Khartoum, on corruption charges, though the International Criminal Court has hunted for a long time to arrest him on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity within his part in the Darfur conflict.

Sudan’s government has pledged to end the battles in the nation’s far-flung nations in hopes of decreasing military spending, which occupies 80 percent of their federal budget.

Within a larger attempt to hold former officers to report, the public prosecutor has vowed to investigate alleged atrocities in Darfur.

Yet sporadic violence continues, with every new assault fueling fears that judgment governments might not deliver on their claims.

“The militia that perpetrated this offense is encouraged from the old regime,” al-Nayer stated, speaking to the Quick Support Labs, a paramilitary unit drawn in the Janjaweed militias accused of mass killings and rapes in Darfur from the 2000s.

There was no immediate comment from the Quick Support ministry about Thursday’s assault.

“We’re calling on the government to perform its role in protecting civilians, arresting offenders and disarming the militias,” al-Nayer explained.

Sit-ins have arisen across Darfur lately as individuals, largely those displaced from the waves of fighting in the area, press requirements for unhindered access for their farmlands along with the resignation of provincial safety officers, they say fail to protect them against regular paramilitary attacks.

A government delegation earlier this week seen the demonstration camp of Fata Borno at North Darfur, the website of the current deadly crackdown. There, Gen. Abdelrahim Hamdan Dagalo, deputy commander of the Quick Support Forces, vowed to start an investigation to the dispersal of their sit-in and set up forces to protect farmers throughout the agricultural period, according to Sudan’s state-run news bureau.

Yet shortly after the delegation met, footage surfaced online from Gereida, revealing a girl carried on a stretcher with a bullet lodged in her mind, houses torched in an alleged arson attack — and afterward — shrouded bodies turned right to a mass grave.

Meanwhile, a few hours’ drive northwest, approximately 32 activists were detained in a dragnet targeting protesters and homeless people this week,” stated Regal, the camp spokesman.

In a statement Friday the Khartoum-based Darfur Bar Association verified that many advocates were trapped in North Darfur, for example among its attorneys providing legal aid to detainees in Kutum, in which security forces gathered another protest camp a week.

The arrests of attorneys and urges send “a clear message” that transitional police are continuing the same repressive Bashir-era tactics, ” the institution stated.