LONDON — Police have launched a man detained earlier this week in Northern Ireland about the deaths of 21 individuals in a set of bar bombings from the central England city of Birmingham in 1974.
West Midlands Police said Friday they published the 65-year-old following a hunt of his Belfast home. The analysis persists.
“Allow me to assure families of those victims and those of Birmingham that we are working tirelessly to discover the bombers and bring them to justice,” Detective Chief Superintendent Kenny Bell said in a statement.
The arrest followed an inquiry into the bombings this past year through that an unidentified Irish Republican Army volunteer called four men he said were responsible for the bombings.
A botched police investigation right after the bombings resulted in the wrongful convictions of six individuals who became famous as the Birmingham Six.