Alland Grange Road The junction of Alland Grange Road and the B2190, looking towards Alland Grange Road.
This is Keeper's Old House
|Title||Battle of Britain Memorial Window Westminster Abbey The Lady Chapel - The Royal Air Force Chapel At the eastern end of the magnificent Lady Chapel built by King Henry VII is a chapel dedicated to the men of the Royal Air Force who died in the Battle of Britain between July and October 1940. This chapel received damage from bombs which fell in that year and a hole made in the stonework has been preserved and covered with glass. The Tudor glass in the window had also been blown out at the same time. The Dean of Westminster was approached early in 1943 by Mr N.Viner-Brady who suggested the idea of a memorial to "The Few" and Dean Labilliere chose this small chapel as one suitable for the purpose. Lord Trenchard (Marshal of the RAF) and Lord Dowding (who led Fighter Command during the Battle) headed a committee to raise funds for the furnishing of this chapel and for a stained glass window. The English walnut altar was designed by A.E.Richardson with sculptured figures of King Arthur and St George (although an embroidered frontal usually covers them). The silver cross, candlesticks and rails were designed by J.Seymour Lindsay. The chapel was unveiled by King George VI on 10 July 1947. The Battle of Britain Memorial Window The stained glass window, by Hugh Easton, contains the badges of the fighter squadrons that took part in the Battle. In four panels are shown visions which symbolise the Redemption. In one a squadron leader kneels before the Virgin Mary and the Christ Child. Below this she is represented in her sorrow with the dead Christ across her knees (a symbol of the sacrifice of the mothers and widows of those who died in the conflict). On the opposite side a panel shows a sergeant pilot kneeling before the Cruficifixion (a symbol of the sacrifice of the pilot himself). Lastly, above this, is the Resurrection seen by a pilot officer (representing the pilots' triumph). Seraphim, with six wings and with hands outstretched to paradise, are shown in the top row of the window. In the central section are the Royal Arms, the badge of the Fleet Air Arm and the badge and motto of the RAF "Per Ardua ad Astra" (Through struggle to the Stars) together with the furled flags of New Zealand, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Belgium, and the United States of America. In two of the bottom panels are words from Shakespeare's Henry V "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers". Painted on the stonework below the glass are the names of six RAF war leaders (added in 1989). Trenchard and Dowding are buried in this chapel.|
|Photo's author||Richard Croft User stats Author's photos|
|Source||Wikimedia Commons image|
|Date||19 Feb 2007 00:00:00|
|Original size||427 x 640|
|Retrieved from source on|
Battle of Britain Memorial Window Westminster Abbey The Lady Chapel - The Royal Air Force Chapel At the eastern end of the magnificent Lady Chapel built by King Henry VII is a chapel dedicated to the …
ビッグベン(エリザベスタワー)：Big Ben(Elizabeth Tower)
File:St Stephen's Tower.jpg
London: Westminster - St Margaret Street The street beside the Houses of Parliament, and the Clock Tower which can be seen showing the time approaching 5.30pm.
London : Westminster - St Margaret Street
Parlamento Londinense, Londres - Reino unido
good morning London
Westminster Abbey, City of Westminster, Greater London, UK