In a letter printed on the royal family site on Monday, Juan Carlos advised his son King Felipe VI that he was going out Spain because of the”public consequences of particular episodes of my previous life.”
Juan Carlos is the goal of official investigations from Spain and Switzerland, which are looking into potential financial wrongdoing.
Juan Carlos’s bombshell statement took Spaniards from surprise. Neither the royal household nor the authorities revealed where he had been moving.
La Vanguardia also stated that he had been in the Caribbean nation, but only briefly.
However, El Confidencial paper stated he is in Portugal, where he spent a part of his youth, or in France or Italy, where he’s friends and family.
But marred by scandals at the subsequent years of his reign, Juan Carlos in 2014 abdicated in favor of his son Felipe, dropping the immunity from prosecution Spain’s Constitution grants to the mind of the state.
In the aftermath of Juan Carlos’s announcement, a few people called for the monarchy to be abolished.
“There is not any reason whatsoever to maintain encouraging a monarchy that doesn’t have minimum moral standards,” the party said in a statement late Monday.
However, the Socialist party, which directs the government under Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, has revealed no willingness to follow that path, and it has announced its support for Felipe. Nevertheless, Sánchez lately said he discovered the improvements about Juan Carlos”bothering”
“I think that it is awful we let him go,” explained Sara Fernandez, a 38-year-old insurance employee. “He must have to remain here, return the cash and do jail time, just like all Spaniards if you violate the law”
However, janitor Mar Verdugo, 55, advocated caution. “We’re judging him with no signs, so whenever there’s a sentence we’ll see whether he’s done wrong or right,” she explained.
Juan Carlos’s attorney, Javier Sánchez-Junco Mans, said in an emailed statement the former king had requested him to ensure that even though he is going to be out Spain he plans to be accessible to collaborate with the investigation.
An announcement from Spain’s general prosecutor’s office in June said it was exploring if Juan Carlos received tens of thousands of dollars in kickbacks from Saudi Arabia through the building of a high-speed rail there with a Spanish consortium.
Since that time, Spanish press outlets have released damaging testimony by another Korean investigation to millions of euros (dollars) which were supposedly given to Juan Carlos from Saudi Arabia’s late King Abdullah.
Juan Carlos supposedly then moved a huge sum to some former company in what researchers are thinking about as a potential effort to conceal the amount from the government.
The company, Corinna Larsen, is a Danish-German businesswoman long connected by Spanish press into the former king. Spanish prosecutors have requested her to give testimony at the event in September in Madrid.